- Vivo X21 | Specifications | Features | Price | Rating | Comparison
- State wise list of Bio - sphere reserved | Tiger reserves in India.
- Top 10 Most Superhit Bollywood movies of 2018 | Budget | Starring | Songs | Rating | Posters
- How To safety from dehydration | Causes | Effects | Symptoms | Prevention | Signs
- Daru Band Latest New Punjabi Song | Mankirt Aulakh | Lyrics | Video | Poster | Best songs
Dengue is a Dangerous Disease
Global incidence of dengue has drastically upped in the last few years. According to the World Health Organisations (WHO), there are about 390 million cases of dengue fever worldwide. The total number of cases, 96 million require medical treatment.
Dengue and its symptoms
Dengue is a mosquito – borne viral disease. It is caused by one of the many closely related dengue viruses. An acute illness caused by one of the many types of mosquitoes. In the genus Aeges aegyptia. Talking about its symptoms. Dr. Mukesh Mehra, a senior consultant. Internal Medicine, Max super speciality hospital, patparganj says, “Typically people infected with dengue virus. They are asymptomatic (80%) and only 5% have severe illness.
Early signs of dengue. It may include high fever, joint pains, headache and vomiting with a characteristic skin rash. Though mostly the fever doesn,t last beyond a week. Some cases may develop more critical symptoms and pose life threatening danger. The latter situation is characterized by a drop in the level of blood. Platelets, blood plasma leakage or a severely low blood pressure.
The rare case, when dengue develops into a life threatening disease. They are referred to as Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever or Dengue Shock Syndrome. The former is characterized by Haemorrhage, blood plasma leakage. An exceptionally low platelet count. While, the latter occurs due to dangerously low blood pressure, which may lead to a circulatory collapse ( shock ).
Incidence of Dengue
Though, the fever can attack anybody. The ones with a weak immune system are at greater risk than others. “Dengue like all other viruses has undergone mutation. Nearly, the four variant strains of denue have been identified. Dr. Amitabh Parti Additional Director, Internet Medicine Forests Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon.
Dengue prevention plan
- Dengue virus is mostly active in the. Early morning and later afternoon.
- Tropical and sub – tropical areas are more prone to dengue out-breaks. Travellers from and across such regions can also carry the disease.
- Reduction of number of mosquitoes. They improved water storage, proper waste disposal, and checking water stagnancy.
- Mosquito repellents are also quite effective. But, it should be used with the various points of caution. : Avoid them for infants below km 2 months of age, for infants older than 2 months. Apply repellents containing 10% FEET. Avoid applying them on palms, near eyes or mouth. Always read the instruction on the label. Particularly for babies, pregnant and breast feeding women.
- Avoid wearing dark and tight clothing. Because mosquitoes are attracted to dark colours. Wear loose, white and long clothes, which over the whole body.
Mosquitoes find it difficult to bite. Through, loose clothes than tight fitting clothes.
- The worst hit age group has been school and college children. An effective implementation of wearing full sleeved clothes policy. It can bring down the number of cases by upto 50%.
- The government should ensure a live reporting of its incidence. This will keep people informed and aware of the areas. It is more prevalent in, which should translate into a heightened cautiousness.
It is believe that any fever during the rainy season, to acute or otherwise. It should be considered dengue. Proper tests should be run to check the infection. Because any delay in doing so can prove fatal. Though usually, the fever that lasts beyond 7 days is not dengue.
Diagnosis of this disease isn,t difficult. A blood test for the disease against the virus. It shows the person is affected or not. But, what remains a concern is that more than not, people can brush aside. The symptoms of dengue as a less dangerous viral fever. So even if you have a speck of doubt, do not delay to go for the test.
What makes the situation grimmer. It is the absence of an outlined treatment for the disease. They help in lowering fatality rate of the disease. See a doctor, take the prescribed medication which are mostly pain relievers, rest and drink maximum fluids. If the situation worsens in the first 24 hours, do not delay going to a hospital for checking against critical cities.
Aspirin and other NSAID, should not be given to patients. These will cause severe bleeding. Hence, it is advisable to take paracetamol to relieve muscle and joint aches, fever and headache. It is further advised sponging the patient with water at room temperature using a wet, squeezed out towel for about 20 minutes at a time. This will help to lower the high temperature. Well not to use ice water for this purpose.